The Augusta Victoria Hospital (AVH)
The Augusta Victoria Hospital (AVH) is a medical center of excellence that has been providing healthcare services and other health programs for about 70 years to Palestinians, including refugees from throughout the West Bank and Gaza. AVH, a program by the Lutheran World Federation, serves patients regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, or political conviction, without discrimination or favoritism; It is a modern tertiary care facility that serves the most disadvantaged patients from Gaza and the West Bank and has a special historic relationship with the United Nations Relief Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestine Refugees
The Lutheran World Federation (LWF) is a global communion of 148 churches in the Lutheran tradition, representing 75.5 million Christians in 99 countries. LWF World Service works in 25 countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean. LWF Jerusalem program has served the Palestinians in Jerusalem, West Bank and Gaza through humanitarian, health and educational programs since 1948. LWF manages the Augusta Victoria Hospital, two vocational training centers in Ramallah and in East Jerusalem and its central office is on the Mount of Olives.
For additional information, please see www.lutheranworld.org/World Service .
Resident Doctor in Internal Medicine, Jerusalem – National position
Position type and closing date
Full time position, National Position.
Location: Based in Jerusalem
Supervising: No supervision responsibilities
Closing date for applications:11th of September 2023
Applicants are required to uphold the core values of our organization.
Terms of Reference
Main outcome of the role:
The Medical Resident reports to the Chief Medical Resident and Medical Director and plays a key role in building and maintaining good relationship with the Nursing, Paramedical staff and fellow resident colleagues.
- To ensure the highest standards of patient care for all patients attending/admitted to AVH.
- To establish and maintain teamwork and co-operation with the multidisciplinary team i.e. Nursing, Physiotherapy, Radiology etc. to ensure maximum benefit from co-ordinated care.
- To assist the Chief Medical resident to maintain and develop the highest evidence based clinical and professional standards.
- To keep abreast of new developments, skills, technology, and current literature in order to initiate and respond to changes in the work environment, e.g. data analysis, clinical audit, research, etc. And to meet current CME requirements
- To fully embrace and utilize the Hospitals Information and Communications Technology
- To keep policies and procedures under review, with regular audit, and revise as required in the light of changing service needs
- The medical resident works in co-operation with the Consultants and the Nursing team in all matters relating to patient care.
I. Clinical Assessment of Patients
– All patients requiring admission/readmission and/or as warranted by an unexpected change in their clinical condition
– Patients attending Day Care and Out-Patient areas will be reviewed as appropriate following a discussion with the Head of Department. Patient assessment should comprise of:
- Appropriate history and clinical examination,
- Appropriate investigations (e.g. CXR, ECG, Lab work-up),
- Procedural activity (e.g. blood cultures, IV cannulations and infusions, catheterization), with the Nursing staff help
- Prescribing drug therapies or other appropriate services including physiotherapy, dietician, etc.,
- Ensure that there are detailed notes in medical records including proper documentation and discharge summaries, where appropriate eg transfers, convalescence, rehabilitation.
- Liaising with Chief Resident, Consultants in charge and Senior Nursing Colleagues.
- Prescribing may be required as warranted by a change in clinical condition, analgesic requirement, or as a courtesy on behalf of the Consultant staff.
III. Ensure that comprehensive handover, with full patient rounds, has taken place at the beginning and end of each shift, (morning and night).
IV. Carry the cardiac arrest phone and respond to all hospital emergencies, for patients, staff and visitors administering emergency care in the absence of Anesthetics or Consultants, and continue management until such time as the Consultant is available.
V. To closely liaise with all Hospital Consultants and the Chief Resident
VI. Participate in compulsory Hospital based training i.e. Fire and Manual Handling renewal of ACLS/PALS when required etc.
VII. To carry out any other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time and at the discretion of the Medical Director
– Perform any other related duties, as assigned.
The Job description is subjected to renewal according to the work’s need and it will be used as the base for the employee annual evaluation.
Required Qualifications, Skills and experience:
· MD degree recognized by the MOHE and PMC
· Full registration with the Palestinian/Jordanian Medical Syndicate
· BLS / ACLS mandatory
· Experience at a senior level – a minimum of 1-2 years post qualification experience
· To have passed the Israeli Professional Practice Examination.
– Good computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
– Fluency in English and in Arabic.
– Ability to build credibility and trust with departments and staff and work effectively with them.
– Effective communication skills. The ability to effectively communicate with patients, caregivers, and fellow medical professionals.
– Teamwork-oriented and demonstrated flexibility.
– Motivated to work in a fast-paced environment.
– Ability to work independently under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and demonstrate flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
– Respect and promote ethical values and human rights. In addition, maintaining professional relationships and acting as guides.